We have extended our range of products for efficient drainage data gathering. Viewline are well known for our MSCC5 domestic code compliant reporting applications and now we have added new products to match the ever increasing use of smartphones and cloud technology. Now it is possible to complete a small scale CCTV Report using an App available for Android or iPhone.
Today everything you need to gather data on site, save it and send it, is in your pocket in the form of the smartphone. With this in mind, Viewline have created an Android app that enables the user to gather drainage survey data using smartphone technology. CCTV survey information is added either by drop-down lists, by voice or taking pictures. All data is captured and saved locally, remotely and, most importantly, securely. The data is then used to create a remotely stored PDF report. This is immediately and securely stored to the cloud and available to be viewed by your clients. If for any reason there is no internet connectivity, then this clever little app will save your CCTV Report on your smartphone and will sync to the cloud when you are connected.
The CCTV Report app enables the user to gather basic header information and add observations and defects. Once the information is entered, which really is a very simple process, with one tap you can create a PDF report. The app is primarily for users who are carrying out spot CCTV surveys just to establish the cause of a blockage or might be used for pre and post reporting on repairs and lining works. The data will include pictures and images and can also be used to make a recommendation and even an estimate.
- Reports saved to your phone or the cloud automatically and instantly.
- Easy to use and creates great reports.
- Everything you need all on a smartphone.
- Voice recognition (Android).
- Use your camera to collect general site photos, manhole photos and defect photos.
The CCTV Report app is available at the Play Store (Android) or the App Store (iPhone).
You will need to register and log on with an email address and password. Initially, you will want to add your company details in as this information will be shown on every report. This is a very simple and once only operation:
- To the left of the word ‘Projects’ you will see three bars. Tap on these.
- The menu will open. Tap on Settings.
- Add your company details and logo and tap Save.
- Tap on those three bars again and tap ‘Projects’.
That’s it. You’ve set up your company and you won’t need to do that again.
Now it’s time to create a Project. This is simplicity in itself, just follow these instructions:
- Tap on the plus sign in the top right of the screen.
- Add the Project Details and a general Site Image. Tap ‘Next’.
- You’ll see a box with the text ‘Section 1’. Tap on that.
- Now you’ll see a number of smaller boxes with words like, ‘Start Point’, ‘Type’, ‘Depth etc. Tap on any of these and add some information.
- Scroll the page up to see more data fields or tap the ‘Next’ button.
- You can add all the data you need and a picture of the manhole. This is the Section Header information. The data you are collecting will be shown very much like the top of this report –>
Now you can add your Observations by tapping the ‘Add New Observation’ button. Now you will see a box with the text ‘Observation 1’. Tap on that and follow these instructions:
- First you need to know what kind of defect or observation you are reporting on. The categories are Structural, Operational, Construction or Miscellaneous. They are fairly self descriptive but, if you’re not sure you can always try trial and error.
- You’ll see when you tap on any of these categories there will be a list of defects. Select the appropriate one and tap OK.
- Then all you need to do is scroll through the screen and add the appropriate information. If you want to make a remark you can use voice recognition in Android.
- You can also indicate the condition using the DRB grading system; A, B or C.
- Now you can add an image of the defect. Probably the easiest way of doing this is by taking a photo of your screen using your phone’s camera. It’s best to do this from 300 – 500 mm away. When you have taken the picture and you’re happy with the quality, tap OK. You’ll see a square overlaying your image. You can move this around with your finger. When you’re happy with this then tap ‘Done’.
- That’s it, you’ve added one Observation to your Section Header. You can add more by tapping the ‘Add New Observation’ button again. Or, you can add a new Section Header by tapping on the the ‘Add New Section’ button.
Hopefully you found that quite easy, that’s what it’s supposed to be. When you’ve finished the survey you just need to tap the close (x) button top right of your screen. Select ‘Yes’ and and you will see your new project with a blue arrow pointing to the right. If you tap on the arrow your project form will open up. You can edit any details if you need to.
The final thing you’ll want to do is create a PDF. This is also very easy to do:
- Tap and hold your finger on the project you want create the PDF report from.
- You will see an Adobe PDF icon top right of your screen. Tap on that.
- A message will pop up saying your data is being synced to the cloud and then you will see your PDF report.
- To send it you need to tap on the three vertical dots in the top right of the screen. You will then have options to ‘Add to Drive’ (this will add the PDF to your Drive), ‘Send File’ (this gives a number of different ways of sharing your PDF), ‘Open With’ (this gives more options for you to view the PDF), ‘Download’ (this will download to your phone) and ‘Print’ (which enables you to directly link to a printer and produce a hard copy.
If you follow these instructions you should be up and running in no time.
The app is free to install and use and the first five generated PDF reports are free. After that you will need to subscribe to continue generating the PDF reports. To purchase a subscription, a user needs to have a card (debit/credit) linked to a user’s play store account (for Android) or App store (for iOS). This can be an account linked to another email address (you don’t have to used the same email address that you login to the app with).
With this easy to use system you can create very useful CCTV Reports for as little as £12.50 per month (on a 12-month subscription).